A Directors Diary - What Maths taught me.

Normally, any concept before implementation should be run through thoroughly before it being put into practice. The idea as such needs to have some workability factor attached to it.

I studied mathematics as a "very important" subject of my curriculum. I'm not a math person and yet because it was included with other Science subjects I had to study it. I hated it. I have always believed 2 + 2 = some other number, which they are not telling us about hence tricking us into believing otherwise. Besides 4 is not one of my favourite numbers'. How did they ever come up with such a number??

Okay, I was never good at Math. Just don't get it. My teacher was the best though. She was patient and unassuming, even frantically nerdy sometimes, with chalk powder finding its way all over her nose.

I think I understood Algebra more than normal Arithmetic. I prefer complicated mathematics with alphabets and numbers instead of only numbers. That way, you at least know that everyone is assuming things and coming up with some valid arguments and results. It not 2 + 2 = 4; it is x + y = 25. Then you mix and match and come up with some result, in your own basic way so it results in a commonality amongst your peers.

I like Algebra.

There was another thing I learnt in my Math class. When you come up with a formula, you also come up with a valid result. A formula always has a result. It's compulsory. Nothing is ever half correct, if you know what I mean; its more like either it can be done or it cannot, its as simple as that. So, if the formula does not have a result then it is not a formula at all, its gibberish. Period.

An actor always works with a formula provided to him/her by the director and the onus lies on the actor to come up with a solution. He researches, puts together pieces from what he reads in the script, uses the directors helpline when required and then performs. The result is seen when the actors performs in front of the audience. The applauds are directly proportionate to the conviction he was able to create.

There are no half marks here.

You either make the scene real with your conviction or you don't. If you do there are many congratulations; and if you don't then a lot of heartbreak to everyone who is resting their hopes on your performance. (after all you bring in the moolahs for the producers and if you are lack and effete.. then, well then.)

Its very much like a formula here. You either convince and be, or, "act" and be patronised by the many who have come to watch you. After all they also have to reassure themselves that they have gotten the value for their money. It helps them mentally, pacifies their pockets.

Oh also, I remembered, when you solve an algebraic equation you always substitute numbers with alphabets and visa versa, to come up with various methods of solving the formula. That way, you might have two different approaches to the same problem but the result is always the same. I like the idea :)

- Puja Goyal

ps: you like it! You like it!!... - Victor (Cat's Paw)

Comments

Unknown said…
This is really a awesome one. Thought provoking article!!